Independent Study



I started two independent study courses last summer. I extended them a few months ago. And now I have less than a week left to finish them. I'm almost done!

Communication Disorders 133: Introduction to Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. That's the first course I registered for. It's a required class for my major and it's not too hard because it covers material from my major classes.

HFL 260: Family Finance. This is the other class I am taking. It's slightly harder to motivate myself to study this one. I think that's because this material is less familiar to me than the ComD class is and I try to get everything from each lesson. But the catch is there's no way to learn everything-at least not in one class. It's not a very realistic goal. And it takes a ton of time.

What I've learned from independent study classes you ask? (1) I've learned that it's harder than I thought it would be to study alone. (2) I've learned that I can't compare classes. I've taken six or seven classes about communication disorders and maybe two about personal finance (that's if you count high school economics and the econ part of American Heritage). Of course I know a ton more about speech and hearing than I do about budgets or investments. (3) Sometimes goals need to be adjusted. I've changed my goals from learning everything about these two subjects to learning the main points. That's more do-able and realistic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February in review

What's up Doc?

Capitol Reef