Music Composition Final

My "final" for music composition is to write a quartet for the following instruments: soprano sax, bass clarinet, viola, and vibraphone. That's a pretty diverse group of instruments. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to organize my piece. Do you have any ideas for me? Check out the following website to learn about the instruments. Thank you in advance for your input!

"The Orchestra: A User's Manual"—
http://www.mti.dmu.ac.uk/~ahugill/manual/intro.html

Examples of what you could make suggestions about:
who gets the melody, or the order of who plays melody at different times
key signature?
time signature?
what kind of feeling or idea to try and create?
slow or fast or a mix, what order to put it in? (e.g. slow first, gradually speed up, really fast and then go back to a slower steady pace)
use one or more of the instruments in an unusual way (e.g. make it a percussion instrument, play only the mouth piece of the clarinet or sax, pluck the viola strings instead of bowing...)
ideas on how to use and incorporate a vibraphone... (I don't know much about it yet)
a certain rhythm you think I should use
a melody you like
chords you like that I should use
chord progressions-it can be a few chords or a bunch (e.g. C major, F, G, E minor, E major)
with each specific instrument--played mostly at the high or low end of the instrument range, loud or soft, short notes or long notes, lots of runs or playing only a few notes


Some ideas my professor gave the class:
Just for you to skim through, but you may not necessarily understand completely...
Compose a piece in polytonality, i.e. in which one part of the ensemble plays in one key whilc the other part plays in another key.
Compose a piece that uses only tone clusters for harmony, i.e. chords made out of seconds.
A piece that uses only sounds the instruments were not meant to make.
A piece in which the performers use instruments they have never played before. They should make sounds in idiosyncratic ways, rather than learning how to play properly.
A piece in which silence is the main component. The sounds that you make have the main purpose of articulating silence.
Palindrome: The piece is the same backwards as forward. It is “retrograde symmetrical.”
Reflection/mirror: If an even number of players, each player plays a mirror reflection of another player around any pitch axis. If an odd number of players, the remaining (non reflecting) player’s part is free of constraints.
Gamut: compose from seven to twelve chords for the ensemble. Compose a piece that uses only those chords, as if it is a scale.
Surreal scale: create a scale that does not repeat at the octave, but repeats at some larger interval, or some smaller interval (other than M2, m3, M3 or tritone, since these will also repeat at the octave). Write a piece using this scale exclusively.
A piece that uses speech in some way along with instrumental music of some sort (but not a story
accompanied by incidental music).
A piece that uses a symmetrical scale (provided in another handout).
A piece that only uses transpositions and inversions of a single pitch-class set between adjacent and simultaneous notes.
A piece that is written with a tone-row.


Note: Anyone who contributes ideas will get to hear a recording of it. Your ideas can be as broad or as specific as you want and I may even use them. :) Is that a good enough incentive to make a comment?

Comments

  1. I'm here for you.

    I'm all for the polytonality. I'd use a gold key for the one you use the most and silver for the others. That will make it easier to find. Julie has a gold key for our townhome and I have a silver key and I can always find the key quicker on her key ring.

    As for your surreal scale, go with MP3. It is compatible with most standard music players.

    Don't use inversions because it is hard enough to play music standing up straight.

    I'd definitely use a baseball feeling. That would probably follow a fast pace to start and end with unpredictable changes in between.

    I'd make sure the key and signature keys are sloppy like a doctor's signature. That should give it some validity.

    I'd use A major to get that subconscious feeling in your professor to give you an A grade.

    The quartet part of all this is going to be the toughest but I think I figured out a way to pull it off. Start with the vibraphone wedged between your shoulder and your ear. Unless you want to play the viola with your toes you better set up the sax on a stand so you don't have to hold it. The sax will need 95% of your mouth but we'll set up a long straw in the corner of your mouth so when you blow the air will go both in the sax and through the straw to the clarinet which will be played with your toes.

    Thank me later for the ingenuity and only if you pull it off.

    ps - I'm still waiting for you to take off word verification

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this written in English? I'll ask my musically-inclined husband if he can help but I am of NO use to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you ever going to put up pictures from the D.C. trip? I'm waiting....
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment