Manti
Last Friday, the day I flew back to Utah, Matt and I drove to Manti. I landed at noon and we were on the road again for Manti a few hours later. On our way into town we stopped at the cemetery where Grandpa Carbine and Annie are buried. 
Matt's Aunt Mimi recently got married and so there was a little reception for her Friday evening. Eli, Matt's 11-year-old cousin, came from southern California (he is the youngest of Jenny's children). The three of us went to dinner Friday night after we'd been at the party for a while. Then on Saturday we went up to "the cabin." Melory's cousin Russ took us up in his Jeep because normal cars can't get up there. It started out as a fun, sort-of-steep dirt road. Then the rocks started showing up, and then ditches that were 5-6 feet wide and 2-3 feet deep (from the water run-off). It was a bumpy ride to say the least, but it was so much fun. Matt, me, Eli, and Mimi sat in the back on the top edge of the seat and held on to the role bar. I'm glad Russ was driving because he was as safe as any driver possibly could be on roads like that. We sang "Jeep songs" (camp songs) most of the 45-minute drive back down.
Auntie Mimi brought raffle prizes for everyone who donated to the upkeep of the cabin. She also brought party hats and sandwiches for lunchtime. Matt and I had a great time with Eli, Mimi, Auntie J., and company. Richard, Mimi's new husband, was a good sport to go along galavanting through the woods with a bunch of extended family that he's never met before and might not see again, at least for a long time.)
Grandma Carbine came up with her sister, Margaret, and her brother, Lynn. The other siblings have passed away, but there was representation from almost all of Grandma's brothers' and sisters' families (either their children or their grandchildren with their own kids). All in all about 55 people came, which is one of the biggest groups that's come up for the weekend cabin cleanup.
I'm going to need a geo-tag and a family tree to understand what you just wrote.
ReplyDeleteI was SO, SO HAPPY to see a picture of Grandma Carbine again!!! Although I only met her once at your wedding, I sure love that sweet lady and feel like I've known her before. Please tell her I send my love!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom ie Mary Meyers
Joseph, it would be like all of us going to a reunion with Gramma Meyers and Aunt Bessy and her kids, some of Luella and Glens' children and grand children, and some of Aunt Betty's kids too. So they were pretty distant relatives to Matt.
ReplyDeleteThen in regards to Eli, he is the youngest of Melory's youngest sister: Jenny. Jenny passed away a few years ago though. Aunt Mimi doesn't have any children I think, but she spends a lot of time with Jenny's family because they live close. Mimi is the one who got married.
Then in regards to the cemetery visit: Grandpa Carbine is buried in Manti. So is Annie, Matt's little sister. She died when she was two. She had leukemia. I think that should clarify everything.