Golden Wasail

One of Matt's fond holiday memories is coming home from school and being greeted by the sweet smell of his mom's (Grandma Haggard recipe) wassail.  So I asked Melory for the recipe last week and Matt and I made it yesterday.  It is delicious!

It was particularly welcome since I've had a cold all week.  I have a new appreciation for warm drinks.

Here you go:

2 cups pineapple juice
12 oz apricot juice (nectar)
4 cups apple juice or cider
1 cup orange juice
1 six inch whole cinnamon stick
1 teaspon whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon cardamon seeds (I forgot to buy these and so ours yesterday didn't have it)

Combine in pan.  Heat to boiling.  Reduce to simmer for 15 minutes.  Strain.  Garnish with orange and cloves (whole).

OR

Put it in a crockpot on high for about 30 minutes and then turn down to warm.  (This is what I did yesterday and what Matt remembers his mom doing.  We drank it all day.)

Comments