Matt and I spent last weekend in Moab and came home Monday afternoon. With me finally quitting work it was a good excuse to get away for a small trip before the baby comes; and it was a fun way to celebrate our anniversary. We did several hikes in Arches National Park and swam in the outdoor pool at our hotel (that was a key feature to choosing our particular hotel--all of the outdoor pools at home are closed until Memorial Day). Swimming is one activity that makes me forget I'm pregnant; it feels great to swim!
We got to town Friday night and hiked to Delicate Arch first thing on Saturday. On one hiking website the trail was rated as an easy/moderate hike. It gains about 500 feet in elevation and is a mile and a half long (doesn't sound too steep). The majority of the elevation climb is over a relatively short stretch though and Matt made me stop at every cairn to rest and take a drink of water. I guess I was walking pretty slow on the uphill and the frequent rests were warranted. It didn't help that the trail is shade-less. Luckily, Matt is quite tall and shaded me from the sun at each of our "water" breaks (aka pregnancy breaks). We were slow getting to the arch but it was well worth it once we arrived.
 |
| Here it is, with some of the many other tourists hiking it |
The description of the hike at the trail head said something about how the sun is relentless. Matt looked up at the sky and said "relent!" Then he looked at me and said, "yeah, that sun... it just won't relent!"
 |
| Here we are under Delicate Arch. |
 |
| Yes, I know I have a big belly |
Saturday evening we got Thai food in town and walked down the Moab Main Street. We also got ice cream at the general store and chatted with the very friendly candy-maker and her daughter. I thought it would be fun and relaxing for Matt and I to get massages on this trip since it was mainly just a leisurely trip and not an extreme adventure trip, owing to being three weeks away from my due date. Turns out they were overpriced and not as good as the massages we could have done ourselves. You live and learn I guess...
On Sunday we went to church, took a nap after lunch, then drove through the park in the afternoon. It was really hot and I was happy just to stay in the car, especially after hiking the day before. We drove back to the park after dark to star gaze since there's hardly any light pollution and while we were there we met several very friendly photographers who were "light painting" balanced rock. The new moon was the night before and it was a great time for pictures I guess. Light painting, I learned, is what photographers do when they set their shutter speed to 8-10 seconds in order to capture the star light and then they just use a regular flash light to cast light onto an object that they want to show up in the frame. The end result looks something like this picture:
dougmeekphotography.
On Monday we hiked to double arch in the morning and got back to the hotel just in time for a quick swim before we showered and checked out.
 |
| Matt took this picture at the start of our hike to Double Arch |
 |
| I don't know which of these three pictures of Matt I love the most |
 |
| Taken at double arch. Matt ventured into it first and then I followed; I was only stuck temporarily |
 |
| I hope our children have broad smiles like Matt's |
On our way out of town we hiked to Sand Dune arch and also explored the space between a couple of the rock fins.
 |
| Sand Dune Arch |
 |
| My artistic attempt at photography under Sand Dune Arch |
 |
| He really liked this mini slot canyon |
 |
There's an area full of canyons like this, Fiery Furnace, that was too strenuous for me this time but that Matt wants to hike in someday
|
 |
| This was inside at the end of a canyon between two rock fins |
I seem to cry about anything lately and this trip was no exception--year one as Mrs. Matthew Haggard is better than any fairy tale I could have dreamed up for myself. I grew up in a home that was heaven on earth and the last year since Matt and I married has given me a home where heaven is on earth again.
 |
| Temple Square at General Conference weekend (side note: the brand new city creek area is great) |
 |
| This was also a very fun weekend |
Here's to year two and the adventures that parenthood has in store for Matt and I! Pray that all three of us figure out how to get enough rest. :)
Girls cry? Who knew.
ReplyDeleteActually, if you are anything like Julie and Matt is anything like me then you will cry less and less with each passing year of marriage.
I like the pictures. I always enjoy a good trip to Arches. I love our photos from there. We went with Joseph and had him in a little backpack for our hikes. I guess he was 7 months or so at the time.
That light painting link was amazing. Best stars I've ever seen were in Idaho on a dark, dark night.
You look so cute! I love your belly. And great shorts :) Those were my mother's day present when I was pregnant with Jax. You are getting bigger for sure. Have they told you what size baby they think you'll have?
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking the time to post on your blog, Christy!!! And I agree with Alicia, you look great!!! L-O-V-E all the pictures!!!! Keep blogging!!!!
ReplyDelete