Melory
This is the best mother-in-law in the whole world. Her name is Melory. I'm not entirely sure what it is about her that is so endearing and comforting, but here are a few contributing factors:
She is almost always happy. Well, whenever I see her she's always happy; maybe she isn't always, always. It's not that she doesn't have difficult people or situations to handle, it's just that she doesn't let it get her frazzled. She sees the bright side of things and laughs instead of frowns, even when, as the nice HR lady, she has to tell someone that they ought to go to the restroom to pass gas instead of right next to their co-workers... :) (Yes, that's really happened.)
She isn't judgmental. Instead of looking at someone and thinking, "wow, you've got problems" she looks thoughtful and in the most sincere voice asks "what can I do to help?" Since Kimmy's been a missionary I've noticed she's developed this same attitude. It doesn't matter if someone Kimmy is talking to has an addiction, or family problems, or little education--Kimmy wants to share the gospel with them and make their lives better. Melory's like this with even the simplest of challenges (even just getting the laundry and dishes done).
She's just got a lot of great talents--she's a great cook, a willing learner, an expert sewer, and a really fun grandma. She raised three great boys who are kind, smart, musical, and clear-headed. When Madeleine was less than a week old no one, myself included, could get Madeleine as comfortable and restful as Melory could. Matt and I joke that she carries around magical grandma dust that she sprinkles on grandkids to make them happy and sleepy.
Dear Melory, thank you for being so kind and patient with me, for raising Matt to become a great husband and dad, for loving Madeleine and helping her to be comfortable, for making us delicious food all the time, for saving us during the first few weeks of Madeleine's life, for beautiful quilts, lots of baby clothes, and your wisdom, encouragement, and confidence that Matt and I will survive parenthood. :) M&M and I are grateful for you!
Great post, Christy! And you are indeed lucky to have such a great mother-in-law!!! I knew that the minute I met Melory! She is a very special lady and I am SO grateful that, if I can't be close to you, that she is there! Thanks, Melory, for all you do for Christy and Matt, and our precious little grandbaby!!! Aren't we all so blessed?!!!
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Mom