The house smells really good right now
A while back I asked Mom and Dad what some things are that they are glad they did as parents and things they wish they'd done differently. This might sound familiar because I mentioned this conversation in my post about the library and reading with the same intro. Anyways, one thing Mom heard somewhere is that kids will associate home with good things if they smell good things upon arriving home. Mom was really good at that; there were often great smells when I would come home from school, usually of dinner cooking but it was sometimes bread or sweet things or other yummy food and sometimes it was just the smell of a freshly *cleaned* home. Ah, great smells!
Maybe because of Mom's efforts or maybe just because, I love the smell of good things cooking. And right now this house smells really good. It's beef carnitas for tacos tonight. I have no idea how it will turn out but at least it smells really good!
As a side note, I started taking pictures of our dinners like Alicia did a while back to document a month's worth of meals to see what we eat every day and also to give myself and others ideas when it gets to be that time of day and you haven't thought of anything to cook yet. I did it for like, 3-4 days and then my camera battery died. No worries, Matt has a camera for a back-up. So I used his... for another day or two. I still haven't got my battery charged and I don't know where Matt's camera went. But maybe some other time I'll get around to posting a month (or maybe just a week or two) worth of meals.
In the mean time, here's what's cooking right now:
1.5 lbs beef stew meat from a chuck roast
3/4 medium yellow onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic (from a jar)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon coriandor
1 teaspoon (or a little more) cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
a little fresh ground pepper
a dash crushed red pepper
a whole lime, quartered
small can diced green chilies
1 cup beef broth (I have extra in case it all evaporates)
It's simmering on medium-low with the lid on. I'm excited to see how it turn out.
We're eating it with homemade hard taco shells, like so. I need to go cut up the tomatoes, jalapeno, rest of the onion, cilantro, and squeeze another lime for the pico. Oh, and we have avocados too. And lettuce from our garden. And Tillamook cheese. :) I wish I had the motivation to cook like this every day.
And maybe I'll get around to posting the pictures of meals that I did take.
Maybe because of Mom's efforts or maybe just because, I love the smell of good things cooking. And right now this house smells really good. It's beef carnitas for tacos tonight. I have no idea how it will turn out but at least it smells really good!
As a side note, I started taking pictures of our dinners like Alicia did a while back to document a month's worth of meals to see what we eat every day and also to give myself and others ideas when it gets to be that time of day and you haven't thought of anything to cook yet. I did it for like, 3-4 days and then my camera battery died. No worries, Matt has a camera for a back-up. So I used his... for another day or two. I still haven't got my battery charged and I don't know where Matt's camera went. But maybe some other time I'll get around to posting a month (or maybe just a week or two) worth of meals.
In the mean time, here's what's cooking right now:
1.5 lbs beef stew meat from a chuck roast
3/4 medium yellow onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic (from a jar)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon coriandor
1 teaspoon (or a little more) cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
a little fresh ground pepper
a dash crushed red pepper
a whole lime, quartered
small can diced green chilies
1 cup beef broth (I have extra in case it all evaporates)
It's simmering on medium-low with the lid on. I'm excited to see how it turn out.
We're eating it with homemade hard taco shells, like so. I need to go cut up the tomatoes, jalapeno, rest of the onion, cilantro, and squeeze another lime for the pico. Oh, and we have avocados too. And lettuce from our garden. And Tillamook cheese. :) I wish I had the motivation to cook like this every day.
And maybe I'll get around to posting the pictures of meals that I did take.
Comments
Post a Comment