Florida Part 2
It's been a few weeks but I haven't forgotten to finish writing about the heavenly trip home to Florida.
Saturday, April 19th
We met up with Michael, Sarah, Ethan, and Charlie at a children's museum in downtown Tampa for the morning. My dad called Joe and asked if he could bring Joseph and James along with us and so we picked up cousins on our way over. The museum was pretty impressive and reminds me a lot of the new museum of natural curiosity at Thanksgiving Point. The kids had a great time. There is a computer-game-like airplane on the second floor with a screen and controllers to simulate flying around Tampa Bay. Besides that the kids kind of went in their own directions. Jamesie found Madeleine after a while and really wanted to show her the ball pit. Turns out that was one of her favorite stops and she cried when it was time to leave. I love how Jamesie, in particular, wants to be with Madeleine and show her fun things and play together.
On the drive home Dad bought chicken and milkshakes for our carload at Chic-fil-A. Joseph and James and Madeleine were quite happy to each have their very own strawberry milkshake. Spoiled I tell you. :)
Naps were had and then we went to play at Joseph and Julie's house for the afternoon. Madeleine was in heaven, as usual, to be with friends, new toys, and a fun swing set in the back yard to run around and in. Matt went to check on Madeleine after we hadn't seen or heard from her or James for probably 20 minutes. They were sitting together playing in his room.
Alicia and Ben came home Saturday evening from Fort Lauderdale and we decorated Easter eggs together before bed. She took a few shots that she posted on her blog, aliciaben.com. Thanks for the pictures Alicia!
Easter Sunday, April 20th
Madeleine and I slept in a bit and were greeted by a very eager Sadie, Jax, and McKay who wanted to help Maddie find Easter eggs. That is one of the best ways to wake up, I'm pretty sure: sleeping in just a little and then finding three beautiful faces of Madeleine's cousins who want to play and include her in their fun. In Florida. With Matt, my parents, and Alicia and Ben around.
Joseph spoke in church on Sunday. I was a little distracted but the message I heard is that we can each find our own ways of ministering to the one just as the Savior did during his life. Our opportunities are particularly plentiful and meaningful within our own homes. Making good meals, helping each other with chores around home, helping a child tie their shoe or take a bath or pick up their toys. Service brings blessings.
Madeleine had a meltdown after about 5 minutes of nursery during the second hour of church. Even though my dad and McKay and little Spencer were in there with her she was not happy. She became very clingy and only wanted me. So she and I walked around for most of the last two hours of church both inside and out. Side note: She's actually been extra clingy with me since we've been home from Florida and has had a hard time adjusting to going back to her own nursery with her leaders here (who she loves). Maybe she knows there is a baby coming and needs extra one-on-one time with me before then, I'm not sure. In the last week or so she's started letting Matt occasionally do bedtimes again with her. She's really good at saying "I want mommy," and getting me quickly. Double-side note: One of the most memorable stories I remember my dad sharing in church was about the day he was being sustained as the stake president when I was three years old. I don't remember if my mom was on the stand or interpreting but she and my dad were both not able to sit with us. As prelude music played and people visited with each other before the meeting started my dad heard my little voice above all the other things happening say "I want my daddy." His point in sharing that story was that he, my dad, (who is imperfect) could discern his child's call for him; so too, Heavenly Father who is perfect, and perfectly loving, all-knowing and all-powerful hears each of us when we each call out for our Him. The lesson I glean from that is that Heavenly Father's bowels are filled with compassion for us as we reach for him; He hears and answers our prayers.
So that is a bit of a tangent but I think about that story from time to time and try to be as good and loving a parent for Madeleine as I feel my earthly parents and Heavenly Father are for me. Okay--back to Florida. We had quite the delicious Easter Sunday dinner at my parents house. Sarah's parents and Julie's cousin's family joined my siblings and our families. It was a good day.
Monday, April 21st
Kimmy was there when we woke up Monday morning (she had a late flight getting in on Sunday night). We were up early and headed down to the beach for my cousin, Jessica's baptism. It was wonderful to be there with her. Baptisms are such happy beginnings--as we promise to keep the commandments, remember our Savior always, and serve others. We went back to the church building for a short service there.
I don't actually remember what we did the rest of the day Monday. Alicia's kids and Madeleine were exhausted by lunch time since we were up extra early and they all took long naps. I remember they were all still sleeping when Sadie came home from school. As I sat there with Sadie and no younger kids around I realized just how young Sadie still is. I tend to think of her as the big kid since she is the oldest of my nieces and nephews--but she's only six years old. She's still so little! I love my little Sadie who is such a great big sister and cousin!
My Aunt Debbie and Uncle Gary came over Monday night. We just cooked at home and hung out since Kimmy and I were both home with Joseph's, Michael's, and Alicia's families. Gramma and Jess were there too of course. We took a few family pictures (Alicia included some down near the end of this post) and kids played inside and out.
Tuesday, April 22nd
We walked Sadie to school in the morning and then the Jax, Mo, and Maddie did exercises with Kimmo. Matt loves this video. When he watches it he says how fun it is to have sisters (Kimmy and Alicia). He loves teasing Kimmy and although he wasn't trying to tease Alicia here he thinks it's fun that she was a little. He starts saying "I'm only taking video of the kids and feet" but it's a little cut off.
Later that morning we got to play at the beach. :) It was a bit cloudy with a slight breeze--more springlike than summer, but still so nice. Julie and her boys met Alicia and company and Kimmy, Matt, Madeleine and I down at Clearwater. We played in the sand for about an hour and then we went up to the playground before it was time to go home for lunch.
Maddie took a good nap and Jessica came over and hung out with us for the afternoon at my mom's house. It felt like she was an extra sibling in our family this trip since she is living there and hangs out with Joe's family a bunch as well as Alicia's and Mike's when they get together. I'm so glad Matt and I got to be in Florida while she is still living there so that we could hang out with her too!
Reluctantly, we packed our bags and headed for the airport around 4:00pm. There were some tears, and some more that came later too. Maddie traveled great and fell asleep between Matt and I on the second leg of our flight from Arizona back to Utah. She is so good. It was a great trip! Maybe someday Matt and Maddie and I won't have to leave Florida one of these times.
Saturday, April 19th
We met up with Michael, Sarah, Ethan, and Charlie at a children's museum in downtown Tampa for the morning. My dad called Joe and asked if he could bring Joseph and James along with us and so we picked up cousins on our way over. The museum was pretty impressive and reminds me a lot of the new museum of natural curiosity at Thanksgiving Point. The kids had a great time. There is a computer-game-like airplane on the second floor with a screen and controllers to simulate flying around Tampa Bay. Besides that the kids kind of went in their own directions. Jamesie found Madeleine after a while and really wanted to show her the ball pit. Turns out that was one of her favorite stops and she cried when it was time to leave. I love how Jamesie, in particular, wants to be with Madeleine and show her fun things and play together.
On the drive home Dad bought chicken and milkshakes for our carload at Chic-fil-A. Joseph and James and Madeleine were quite happy to each have their very own strawberry milkshake. Spoiled I tell you. :)
Naps were had and then we went to play at Joseph and Julie's house for the afternoon. Madeleine was in heaven, as usual, to be with friends, new toys, and a fun swing set in the back yard to run around and in. Matt went to check on Madeleine after we hadn't seen or heard from her or James for probably 20 minutes. They were sitting together playing in his room.
Alicia and Ben came home Saturday evening from Fort Lauderdale and we decorated Easter eggs together before bed. She took a few shots that she posted on her blog, aliciaben.com. Thanks for the pictures Alicia!
Easter Sunday, April 20th
Madeleine and I slept in a bit and were greeted by a very eager Sadie, Jax, and McKay who wanted to help Maddie find Easter eggs. That is one of the best ways to wake up, I'm pretty sure: sleeping in just a little and then finding three beautiful faces of Madeleine's cousins who want to play and include her in their fun. In Florida. With Matt, my parents, and Alicia and Ben around.
Joseph spoke in church on Sunday. I was a little distracted but the message I heard is that we can each find our own ways of ministering to the one just as the Savior did during his life. Our opportunities are particularly plentiful and meaningful within our own homes. Making good meals, helping each other with chores around home, helping a child tie their shoe or take a bath or pick up their toys. Service brings blessings.
Madeleine had a meltdown after about 5 minutes of nursery during the second hour of church. Even though my dad and McKay and little Spencer were in there with her she was not happy. She became very clingy and only wanted me. So she and I walked around for most of the last two hours of church both inside and out. Side note: She's actually been extra clingy with me since we've been home from Florida and has had a hard time adjusting to going back to her own nursery with her leaders here (who she loves). Maybe she knows there is a baby coming and needs extra one-on-one time with me before then, I'm not sure. In the last week or so she's started letting Matt occasionally do bedtimes again with her. She's really good at saying "I want mommy," and getting me quickly. Double-side note: One of the most memorable stories I remember my dad sharing in church was about the day he was being sustained as the stake president when I was three years old. I don't remember if my mom was on the stand or interpreting but she and my dad were both not able to sit with us. As prelude music played and people visited with each other before the meeting started my dad heard my little voice above all the other things happening say "I want my daddy." His point in sharing that story was that he, my dad, (who is imperfect) could discern his child's call for him; so too, Heavenly Father who is perfect, and perfectly loving, all-knowing and all-powerful hears each of us when we each call out for our Him. The lesson I glean from that is that Heavenly Father's bowels are filled with compassion for us as we reach for him; He hears and answers our prayers.
So that is a bit of a tangent but I think about that story from time to time and try to be as good and loving a parent for Madeleine as I feel my earthly parents and Heavenly Father are for me. Okay--back to Florida. We had quite the delicious Easter Sunday dinner at my parents house. Sarah's parents and Julie's cousin's family joined my siblings and our families. It was a good day.
Monday, April 21st
Kimmy was there when we woke up Monday morning (she had a late flight getting in on Sunday night). We were up early and headed down to the beach for my cousin, Jessica's baptism. It was wonderful to be there with her. Baptisms are such happy beginnings--as we promise to keep the commandments, remember our Savior always, and serve others. We went back to the church building for a short service there.
I don't actually remember what we did the rest of the day Monday. Alicia's kids and Madeleine were exhausted by lunch time since we were up extra early and they all took long naps. I remember they were all still sleeping when Sadie came home from school. As I sat there with Sadie and no younger kids around I realized just how young Sadie still is. I tend to think of her as the big kid since she is the oldest of my nieces and nephews--but she's only six years old. She's still so little! I love my little Sadie who is such a great big sister and cousin!
My Aunt Debbie and Uncle Gary came over Monday night. We just cooked at home and hung out since Kimmy and I were both home with Joseph's, Michael's, and Alicia's families. Gramma and Jess were there too of course. We took a few family pictures (Alicia included some down near the end of this post) and kids played inside and out.
Tuesday, April 22nd
We walked Sadie to school in the morning and then the Jax, Mo, and Maddie did exercises with Kimmo. Matt loves this video. When he watches it he says how fun it is to have sisters (Kimmy and Alicia). He loves teasing Kimmy and although he wasn't trying to tease Alicia here he thinks it's fun that she was a little. He starts saying "I'm only taking video of the kids and feet" but it's a little cut off.
Later that morning we got to play at the beach. :) It was a bit cloudy with a slight breeze--more springlike than summer, but still so nice. Julie and her boys met Alicia and company and Kimmy, Matt, Madeleine and I down at Clearwater. We played in the sand for about an hour and then we went up to the playground before it was time to go home for lunch.
Maddie took a good nap and Jessica came over and hung out with us for the afternoon at my mom's house. It felt like she was an extra sibling in our family this trip since she is living there and hangs out with Joe's family a bunch as well as Alicia's and Mike's when they get together. I'm so glad Matt and I got to be in Florida while she is still living there so that we could hang out with her too!
Reluctantly, we packed our bags and headed for the airport around 4:00pm. There were some tears, and some more that came later too. Maddie traveled great and fell asleep between Matt and I on the second leg of our flight from Arizona back to Utah. She is so good. It was a great trip! Maybe someday Matt and Maddie and I won't have to leave Florida one of these times.
I verify that there were indeed more tears later :)
ReplyDeleteLove your post! Love not leaving! The last video says it's private. I can't for the life of me think of what that video was about. Anxious to see :)
ReplyDelete