Hiking

Jackie and I decided earlier this year that we would hike with our kids together this summer.  Our goal was once a week and I bet we went maybe 10 times or so.  Having friends to go with really helps to motivate little people to move along the trail.  And we picked short easy hikes for the most part so that everyone would love hiking and want to go each week.  It worked great.




We hiked to the grotto falls, along the Nebo Scenic loop, in the spring.  The mountains by us got a lot of snow this winter and so the run-off was high in the spring.  It washed out a couple of the log bridges.  But Jackie is an adventurer and found a way for us to get to the waterfall without crossing back and forth at the normal spots.  It's a pretty short hike and the kids loved it!  I really want to take them back now, in the fall.


We hiked along this cool little trail behind a campground in Mapleton Canyon.  There were a million butterflies along the trail and the kids stopped and played at this creek and bridge for probably 45 minutes before we ventured farther up the trail. 




Sometimes you just have to play in the dirt. 


We "hiked" to Bridal Veil falls.  It's fun to climb around at the bottom of the falls and get your feet wet. 


We hiked along the Bonneville shoreline trail, starting at Rock Canyon.  This picture below is of us taking a break.  We made the mistake of letting Lucy lead us towards what we thought was the Bonneville trail, but it was just a cattle/deer trail and so we had to rough it through some pretty thick bush to get up onto the trail.  Jackie went ahead of us and found the way.

Side story: One of my first memories with Jackie after she moved into Alta was walking home from church on campus with her.  We were walking across the track and field behind Heritage Halls and when we got to the far end of the field we discovered that the gate was locked.  So Jackie climbed over it in her skirt, staying modest.  Well, if she could, I could too... And so I decided to follow her up and over.  That was the start of a great friendship.  And the start of us climbing to get where we wanted to go... :) K, continue with the shoreline trail: 


The way we got up onto the shoreline trail this day was by climbing up a 15 foot rock slide.  We are both pregnant and both had a two year old and four year old to help up.  I got a scraped knee helping Lucy (she was fast and wasn't waiting for me to get better footing) but we all managed to get up.  This picture is at the top of the rock slide after we all made it up.  We laughed, and laughed some more. 


We hiked upper falls, about a half mile farther up Provo canyon from Bridal Veil. 



We also hiked Upper falls with the dads one night for family home evening.  That was fun.  


**************************************************

When Joe and Julie were in town they hiked the Y with Madeleine and Lucy and me.  This was the most ambitious hike I did this summer with the girls.  Really, it was probably a bit too much for Lu.  Joe and I had to take turns carrying her.  But we all made it to the Y.  :)  And no one complained when it means being with cousins all morning.  



****************************************************

Matt and I went down to Cedar City last weekend to see a play from the Shakespeare festival.  It was a short but lovely trip that involved going to Bryce Canyon National park, hiking to the grotto falls again near Nebo, and really good Mexican food.  If you haven't tried El Tapatio in Salem, it is worth the drive to get their pineapple fajitas.  They cut a pineapple in half and grill it along with all the other usual fajita ingredients.  




**************************************************

We've done a couple other hikes on our own or with the girls.  One was the trail to Scout falls, starting at the Timpanogus trailhead.  Beautiful drive.  Beautiful hike.  We didn't have enough time to make it to the falls though so we'll have to go back. 




We also have gone to Stuart falls a couple of times spring/summer.  Once with Aunt Cheri!  She is so fun to be with.  Come back to visit us Aunt Cheri!


For Matt's birthday he wanted to go on a hike.  He and I usually go to Rock Canyon or somewhere close like that.  This fun little trail is up behind Squaw Peak.  It was a beautiful meadow and I'd love to go there again.  We were all coming off of a cold and so our ears were hurting a little and no body had a ton of energy, unfortunately.  But at least we found it and I think we'll probably go back and try it again someday too.  I can't remember what it was called, Buffalo peak, maybe?



Summer time in Utah is wonderful.  There are so many fun places to explore.  I'm glad the girls and I got to go all sorts of places this summer and special thanks to Jackie for planning and executing so many hikes with us this year!  Hopefully her next baby (she is due about a month after me) and my baby will be willing to ride along in baby carriers and hiking backpacks next summer.  :) 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

February in review

What's up Doc?

Capitol Reef