Mentoring

Mentor: a. trusted counselor or teacher.  b. (in the Odyssey a loyal adviser of Odysseus entrusted with the care and education of Telemachus. c. involves communication and is relationship based.      


Who has thoughts and ideas on the subject of mentorship?  


I think of a mentor as someone who loves me and wants me to succeed and so therefore teaches me the attributes and skills necessary for success and happiness.  To me, mentoring is rooted in love and inspires progression and learning.  Lastly, a key aspect of mentoring is that although one has more experience or wisdom than another, they feel like equals and are both seeking more light and truth than they each currently possess.  (i.e. the teacher is both a teacher and a learner; the learner is both a learner and a teacher.) 


This summer I'm working with a lot of kids.  I'm going to be teaching normally developing kids as well as kids with special needs.  I'll teach them how to swim.  This summer I'm also working along with a lot of kids.  Most of the pool staff at the Lindon Aquatic Center are between the ages of 16-19.   When I initially realized this, I wasn't very excited.  But I'm excited now.  Hopefully they can teach me some things and I can help them learn some things too.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February in review

What's up Doc?

Capitol Reef