The Book of Mormon
I was reading the Book of Mormon today and felt a renewed assurance that this book was written by prophets of God and that its focus is to bring people closer to Jesus Christ. I was reading in 2 Nephi 26, specifically I was thinking more about the last 15 verses or so and how the gospel of Christ teaches people to be humble and not put themselves above or below other people and also to trust first in God more than anyone else.
I thought back to high school because I remember one of my peers saying that his minister had passed out pamphlets about Mormons (which I assume was mostly negative). Between the brief exchange of words and the look on my peer's face I could tell he thought something to the effect of: I know all about what you believe and its crazy and bad and how can you go to that church?
I think if I were to have a second chance at that conversation, I would have asked that boy a few questions. (1) Does your minister teach you to seek for light and truth (compared to teachers who say they have all the learning and understanding needed and you should just learn from them)? (2) Does he teach you that God loves all of his children and has prepared a way for every one to chooses to return to Him (compared to some teachers who say he only loves some of his children, or that those who have never had the opportunity to learn of Jesus Christ while they were alive are lost forever)? (3) Does he (the minister) teach you to trust in your creator, whose crowning creation you are (compared to some who mainly teach to be afraid of God and his wrath)? (4) Lastly, I would ask my peer if his minister taught repentance, morality, and integrity (compared to some who teach what is popular, to do what you'd like and there is no harm in it).
So those are kind of long questions and I can't actually imagine being able to get past the first two. But my point is this: God works in the light, not in secret--and any honest seeker can obtain light and truth from many sources. I am grateful for many good teachers, and not just who are latter-day saints. I've learned valuable lessons while attending mass with my extended family and I think it was because the priest was humble and sincere in his desire to bring his flock closer to the Savior. I've also learned how to become more like the Redeemer through my own quiet reading and reflection with the scriptures--the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Book of Mormon, and the teachings of the latter-day prophets and apostles from Joseph Smith to Thomas S. Monson.
Comments
Post a Comment