Thoughts

I haven't thought of much to blog about recently because I can't think of very much that is out of the ordinary lately. So here are a few thoughts or insights I've had that, although are sort of run-of-the-mill, will perhaps be enjoyable to read.

1. I was walking to a young women's planning meeting Sunday morning a few weeks ago. I was wearing my favorite swishy Adidas pants and a BYU sweatshirt along with little white ankle socks and my favorite brown mary-jane shoes. Needless to say I didn't match very well but I was comfortable and happy. It was about 60 degrees outside and sunny. Well, the meeting was canceled and so I walked back home, but I had this strange sensation that it was Christmas time. And I realized that for the majority of my life, Christmas to me means 60 degrees and sunny, wearing your comfy cloths. What added to the "Christmas time" delight was that I stopped by a house on my way home and the aroma of bacon and french toast, or some kind of equivalent, was wafting out of their front door. I thought of dad cooking a big breakfast for us on Christmas.

I did the only natural thing to do. I came home and turned on Christmas music. It didn't matter that it's September. It felt like Christmas to me. Matt came in the room shortly after I turned it on with his hands on his hips and a look that said, "what do you think you are doing? It's not even fall yet." So I explained myself. And then he danced to Bing Crosby with me. :) I love that man. Matt, that is. Although I'm fond of Bing's voice too.

So, to most of the world, 60 degrees, a sweatshirt, and sunshine does not equate to Christmas. We're conditioned to expect different events or actions based on the environment we're in. Well, Christmas most likely won't be 60 degrees and sunny for me this year, but I'm glad I got to experience my own mini "Florida Christmas morning" in September and share it with Matt. AND I'm excited that I can accept Christmas will be a little different and be excited for a new kind of Christmas with my "new" Matt. (And I'm really glad that I'll still get to see Joseph at Christmas since he and Julie will be in Utah with the Hales family. And I'm glad that I'll still get to have Meyers family Christmases in Florida sometimes too--and Matt will also!)

2. General Conference. It's as good as Christmas, or as good as a vacation. I think part of the reason why is that we like to experience something different (Christmas or vacations) and conference weekend is so distinctly different from all other weekends throughout the year. So the uniqueness is nice. But something can't just be unique to be great. It's got to bring some sort of satisfaction, joy, rest, or fun as well. And conference does all of the above for me. I loved listening to the prophet this morning. I was writing notes in my journal this morning while I listened and as he spoke, I wrote, "I want to be cheerful, optimistic, funny, seeking for joy and light. I want to be someone who people want to be around." That's the kind of person that Thomas S. Monson is. And he's endearing because he is that way. I'm grateful we have a prophet and that he and the other fourteen men who are apostles of Jesus Christ teach us and speak the "good word." Their words are indeed the very best kind of "good."

3. The Bishop's Storehouse. I've cleaned at the cannery before but this week I went to the actual storehouse. Matt took the 11-year-old Boy Scouts there on Wednesday and he liked it so much he suggested we go there together on Thursday. The missionaries who were in charge on Thursday were explaining how the storehouse works--how Bishops who are called to be judges in Israel, meet with those in their stewardship who've fallen on hard times. And how he helps them to access all of the resources they already have through their families and then he can help them with what they are still lacking. The missionaries talked about how there are no cash registers, how people who are in real need can come and "sup with the Lord," so to speak.

The missionaries explained how there are facilities all over the country that are church-owned and operated that supply the goods for these Bishops' Storehouses. I felt a tinge of pride when they held up a container of honey and they said it was produced in the citrus groves at the church ranch in Florida. Oh, home sweet Florida. And oh, home sweet... church, for lack of a better word.

It isn't anything spectacular to restock shelves, but I was so glad to be there doing just that. I was glad that Matt and I got to help in a small way to make resources available to the people we live around who are really struggling. And it was comforting to be there too. To see that as long as we are doing everything we can to meet our family's needs, and we are faithful to our Heavenly Father and the covenants we've made at baptism and in the temple, we will always be taken care of. We will never be forgotten or forsaken when we are willing to be a part of the Lord's kingdom, and do our best to contribute to it.

4. Stress at work. I'm not even sure why, but I've taken a personal investment in the mentoring undergraduate grant program that I've been hired to help manage and ensure it gets publicized. We hire the ad lab on campus to create an advertising campaign and run it. Last year, my boss had me fill in a lot of the logistical gaps that the ad lab students left unfilled. This year, I've been trying to feel where my place is between being trained by the associate director of the office and being the point person from ORCA for the ad lab. Needless to say I've worried about it more than I thought I would. I even dream about work quite a bit lately.

Then yesterday, for the first time in several weeks, I stopped and thought and there wasn't a single urgent thing I had to be to work for. To say that I was grateful for the break is a severe understatement. I needed a break. So I stayed home all morning. I did laundry. I cleaned off the kitchen table that had been collecting crumbs from hasty meals all week. I put on some cleaning music and folded clothes. Washed our bedding. Called a chimney sweep to come next week and inspect our fireplace so that we can finally use it. And I even inquired about having a chair reupholstered. After that conversation, I recommitted myself to learning re-upholstery... :) I planned my day in the morning and did almost all the of things that I wanted to, including lunch with my old roommates, and driving to see fall leaves after dinner with Matt. It was a nice day.

I wrote a letter to Kimmy that essentially said this: I LIKE being home. I LIKE cleaning. I LIKE getting the laundry done. And I've realized that work, for the most part, is going to be just fine. And I don't need to fret about it. Whew.



Comments

  1. You've had a lot of thoughts lately. Good to hear you are alive and thinking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

February in review

What's up Doc?

Capitol Reef