Are you gonna make it?

I graduated from college two years ago.  After my commencement ceremony Matt took our niece on a little walk along a nearby path that winds around the south part of campus.  As he was climbing a rather steep hill he started breathing hard.  Meleah, who was three at the time, started huffing and puffing too even though she wasn't exerting any energy; she was sitting in Matt's arms... after huffing and puffing a few times she looked up at him and asked, "Are you gonna make it?"

-------------------------

Great story, huh?  It's become a tag line for Matt and me and I found myself answering that question in the affirmative to myself today as I was sewing a quilt for Madeleine.  Yes, I think we are all going to make it.

It started with the new year--we all had a terrible cold, particularly Madeleine.  We got over it eventually, although it took several weeks.  Then one day I sewed my finger with the sewing machine.  It bled; I panicked; and I tore it even more when I tried to yank it out while the needle was on its way up and out.  Ouch.  After a phone call to a local urgent care I cleaned it myself with antibacterial soup, water, and some hydrogen peroxide.  It could have been worse when all was said and done.  At least it was a good reason to have Matt come home an hour early?

Then there was the first car accident.  Yes, the first.  One snowy afternoon around my birthday I was on my way to meet Kimmy and get a hair cut.  I got about a mile from home before a woman ran a red light, pulling out right in front of me.  I slid in the snow and hit the back drivers' side corner of her van.  Fortunately I was going slow and breaking and we were all fine.  Whew.  I drove a 2013 Explorer around for two weeks while my beloved little Corolla was in the shop.

Then there was the stomach bug several weeks ago.  I was feeling nauseous when I passed out in the bathroom and hit my head on the tile floor.  That evening the PA at our doctors office saw me and told us to go to the ER and get a CT scan; it was already 9:00pm and Madeleine had kept me up a lot the night before teething (four new teeth in one night!).  Fortunately we didn't have to keep Madeleine out that late.  Melory came and babysat while little M slept "like a baby."  The dizziness lasted several days, even when I was laying still sometimes.  And Madeleine had several more uncomfortable nights of teething.  Kimmy came over and helped a lot though.  Thanks, Kimmo.

Now to last week.  I backed into somebody while I was backing out of a parking spot at a friend's condo.  I was looking back and to the right while he was coming from the left, so I didn't see him until he was directly behind me.  I still occasionally feel my blood pressure rise when I think about it and how he didn't ever apologize.  Eh, what to do.  Accidents happen I suppose.  Again I was at least grateful Madeleine and I and the other driver weren't harmed.

The day after the fender-bender we got a cold again--all of us... rats.

Now to top it off, Madeleine was playing in the middle of my bed last Friday when I went to get the vacuum cleaner.  Thud.  A few seconds after I left, she rolled herself to the edge and off of the bed onto the floor.  She cried; I cried.  She nursed; I held her for a while.  And things seemed to be alright.  I checked for signs of concussion--nothing. (whew).  Arms, legs, hands, feet, everything seemed to be okay.  She played in the jumper seat for a few minutes, ate lunch, played with toys and even laughed.  But when I tried to help her walk she couldn't put any weight on her right leg and let out a cry of discomfort.  My calls to our pediatrician were futile (left a message but never heard back before their office closed a few minutes later).  Saturday morning I ended up taking her to the after hours pediatric clinic and then to the hospital for X-Rays.  Sure enough, non-displaced buckle fracture in the distal portion of her tibia (shin).  I felt horrible.  At least the after-hours doctor was really nice and mentioned several times that it was Madeleine who did the crime, that it wasn't my fault and that she'd be fine.

Here's her little splint the on-call doctor made her.

This was taken when we got home from taking x-rays at the hospital.  She was so cheerful, despite having a broken leg.


She got a cast put on her leg today, poor thing.  She has to keep it on for three and a half weeks although I secretly want to use my nail file a little bit every day and take it off sooner.  I won't, don't worry.  But I wish I could.  I had to use the file this afternoon to smooth off a couple pokey parts.

So, yes, we are all going to make it.  And the snow is starting to melt.  And the days are getting longer.  And Madeleine will be okay.  And I will be okay.  And so will Matt.  And I'll get to finish this cool quilt for little M.

Other bright news: Matt got to baptize our next door neighbor a couple weeks ago.  He and his wife and the missionaries have come over once or twice a week the past couple months which has been awesome.  And my parents came to visit us at the beginning of February.  And Kimmy is nearby and I can actually hang out with her again.
.

Comments

  1. You have had quite the eventful 2013 . Madeleine is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I didn't know about half that stuff! You need to call me more often! I laughed out loud about your finger - sorry. That's pretty crazy. I like your optimistic attitude :) I've had days and months like the ones you describe and it's definitely best to laugh and roll you eyes through it. We've started taking probiotics, vitamin C, multivitamins, and omega-3 supplements to boost our immune system. Sadie has shown HUGE improvements. Maybe you and Matt should try some of them too. good luck. love you so so so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

February in review

What's up Doc?

Capitol Reef