A year of dates + Updates on the girls
For Christmas Matt gave me a note pad (I love making lists, as he mentioned to me when I opened it) and a planner (which I had asked for). I opened the planner up and he had filled in on the monthly views a date a week and a day each month for us, or at least me, to go to the temple. This has been one of my favorite gifts I've ever been given. We've gone rock climbing, snow shoeing, out for dessert, to a Utah Symphony concert at BYU, watched the sunset at the beach, and read children's books together. We used to do that a lot when we were dating because I was in a children's literature class at BYU my last semester and I had to read a ton of books for it. He's taken more pictures than me, but here are a few from snow shoeing last week for our date. We went up to Big Springs, where we took the girls for President's Day.



**************************************************
Now for an update on the girls: It's been very spring like around here lately and so we've been playing outside a lot more. It's still pretty chilly, but it's sunny and 40 degrees feels pretty good this time of the season cycle.

Both girls love riding bikes and scooters. Maddie loves coming up the street and playing under the Dorton's huge evergreen tree in the front yard. It's the "tree house," she says. Lu just loves being with Maddie, and wearing Maddie's overalls.

Since Maddie's reading class ended and we've been home for a few weeks we've gotten more nap times. She and I are both pretty happy with the results. She's more cheerful, patient, and reasonable in the afternoon and evening when she rests. And I love love having a little time to myself when she and Lucy are both napping.

Lucy loves dolls. And she really likes Legos. On this day we were making a lego stroller for one of the dolls.

Maddie got a hair cut earlier this week and she asked for bangs. At first I was pretty dissapointed with how it turned out although I told her it looked great. It really changes the look of her face. But I've gotten used to it and I can see my little Maddie again even with the new du. The up-side is that her hair hardly ever falls in her face now and I'm not constantly trying to put her hair back up in a pony. We celebrated hair cuts with a trip to Costco and the girls had a lunch of bread and strawberries while we went through the store.

Mrs. Potter (my second grade teacher) sent us several children's books after getting our 2014 Christmas card. After she got this past (2015) card she sent us a dozen really cool finger puppets. Maddie was keeping them safe in her nightgown while she peeked through puppet stage.

Lastly, the Rex Lee Run is coming up and we've been going to the track once or twice a week lately. We should probably train for it more, but we do what we can. The girls love exploring the Smith Fieldhouse. Lucy likes watching people play basketball. And Maddie loves to feel independent playing on the bleachers (she's aloud to go pretty far away because I can see her). This past Tuesday she wanted to run with me though and she did 7 laps (5 laps = mile). It was really fun that she wanted to stay with me. We did one lap around the outside of the building and I showed her the soccer stadium.
This picture is actually from a while ago. Maddie loves to take my phone and will take several dozen pictures at a time. This one's pretty good (not blurry) but Matt's head is cut off. :)

One of my favorite things Maddie's saying a lot lately is "Today's a little longer than yesterday" in a very hopeful encouraging way. I guess Matt and I are both pretty excited for that part of the winter solstice--no more shortened days--time for lengthening the day time and sunlight.
Lucy loves to tell us her's and others' emotions. "Maddie. Sad. Crying. (when Maddie's pouting.)" She also likes to pretend play. We feed her dollies invisible food all the time and she loves to make the eating sound. She likes to pretend she's coughing and needs a drink. She likes to have me pretend eat her fingers or toes and pretends it hurts so that I kiss her enough to make her laugh. Then she sticks her fingers up at me again and demands "eat it." She and Maddie play "family" with Maddie as the dad (since Maddie's taller I think) and Lucy as the mom. They take turns pushing the doll stroller around the house. This is such a fun age for both of them.



**************************************************
Now for an update on the girls: It's been very spring like around here lately and so we've been playing outside a lot more. It's still pretty chilly, but it's sunny and 40 degrees feels pretty good this time of the season cycle.

Both girls love riding bikes and scooters. Maddie loves coming up the street and playing under the Dorton's huge evergreen tree in the front yard. It's the "tree house," she says. Lu just loves being with Maddie, and wearing Maddie's overalls.

Since Maddie's reading class ended and we've been home for a few weeks we've gotten more nap times. She and I are both pretty happy with the results. She's more cheerful, patient, and reasonable in the afternoon and evening when she rests. And I love love having a little time to myself when she and Lucy are both napping.

Lucy loves dolls. And she really likes Legos. On this day we were making a lego stroller for one of the dolls.

Maddie got a hair cut earlier this week and she asked for bangs. At first I was pretty dissapointed with how it turned out although I told her it looked great. It really changes the look of her face. But I've gotten used to it and I can see my little Maddie again even with the new du. The up-side is that her hair hardly ever falls in her face now and I'm not constantly trying to put her hair back up in a pony. We celebrated hair cuts with a trip to Costco and the girls had a lunch of bread and strawberries while we went through the store.

Mrs. Potter (my second grade teacher) sent us several children's books after getting our 2014 Christmas card. After she got this past (2015) card she sent us a dozen really cool finger puppets. Maddie was keeping them safe in her nightgown while she peeked through puppet stage.

Lastly, the Rex Lee Run is coming up and we've been going to the track once or twice a week lately. We should probably train for it more, but we do what we can. The girls love exploring the Smith Fieldhouse. Lucy likes watching people play basketball. And Maddie loves to feel independent playing on the bleachers (she's aloud to go pretty far away because I can see her). This past Tuesday she wanted to run with me though and she did 7 laps (5 laps = mile). It was really fun that she wanted to stay with me. We did one lap around the outside of the building and I showed her the soccer stadium.
This picture is actually from a while ago. Maddie loves to take my phone and will take several dozen pictures at a time. This one's pretty good (not blurry) but Matt's head is cut off. :)

One of my favorite things Maddie's saying a lot lately is "Today's a little longer than yesterday" in a very hopeful encouraging way. I guess Matt and I are both pretty excited for that part of the winter solstice--no more shortened days--time for lengthening the day time and sunlight.
Lucy loves to tell us her's and others' emotions. "Maddie. Sad. Crying. (when Maddie's pouting.)" She also likes to pretend play. We feed her dollies invisible food all the time and she loves to make the eating sound. She likes to pretend she's coughing and needs a drink. She likes to have me pretend eat her fingers or toes and pretends it hurts so that I kiss her enough to make her laugh. Then she sticks her fingers up at me again and demands "eat it." She and Maddie play "family" with Maddie as the dad (since Maddie's taller I think) and Lucy as the mom. They take turns pushing the doll stroller around the house. This is such a fun age for both of them.
Comments
Post a Comment