Meeting with the Pres

Today I'm going with my mentor to present on our research at the McKay School of Education's yearly meeting with President Samuelson. I'm looking forward to it!

My part is 3 fold:
1. How am I funded? (through the Mentored Undergraduate Research program and ORCA)
2. What are my responsibilities? (I've searched for and read relevant articles to become familiar with the current literature; I've gathered data from the annual reports to congress on the implementation of Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, and I'm collaborating with my research team on an article for publication)
3. How has research benefited me? (I'm getting to practice the research skills I've learned in my writing classes; this research is putting me ahead in my major classes because I'm already familiar with some of the topics we're learning about; and it will be a asset to me in preparation for a Washington Seminar internship and/or grad school.)

Hopefully I can remember all of that when I'm in front of my teachers and the pres. :)

And another note of interest: Dr. Dyches and I are making progress on the article and she wants to have it ready to submit to a journal by the end of the year. It's pretty exciting.

Comments

  1. How did it go? I hope you didn't call him "Prez" to his face;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really nervous before hand--I wasn't sure I'd be able to talk in coherent sentences. Several deep breaths and not having a choice but to speak when it got to be my turn helped settle my nerves though. It was more intimidating to have all of my communication disorders professors there than it was to have President Samuelson, who was very complimentary and very glad several students including myself participated in the meeting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

February in review

What's up Doc?

Capitol Reef