Red Cross, Health Care, and a healthy realization
Today's been an eventful day. To begin with, I donated blood at a Red Cross blood drive on campus. They got more than they bargained for though; in addition to my blood I gave them about 10 seconds of my consciousness and my lunch from an hour before. Not a good experience. I managed to make it to the snack table before the sequence of events unfolded. There's no major damage, I was bothered more by the awkwardness of the situation when I woke up and then got sick than I was about actually passing out or getting sick. I guess humility can come in a variety of ways.
Next, I've been reading Keith Hennessey's blog over the past couple of days in order to learn more about health care reform (Joseph I hope you are proud of me). My new interest on the subject was spurred by hearing something in the news over the weekend about a reconciliation bill; I didn't know what that meant and so I decided I should learn. I don't have any new ideas to contribute to the topic other than my gratitude for people who know what's going on and help people like me to learn the fundamentals.
Lastly, I am putting into practice the principle that we ought not always use persuasion or negotiation (even if we are particularly skilled at persuading, as I too often tend to think). As you all well know, I can be pretty determined when I set my mind to something. Stubbornness, along with any other strong character trait, is appropriate for some circumstances and not for others. For example, negotiation is pretty futile when it comes to somebody else's opinion, say, about key lime pie. They either like it or they don't. No matter how much I want somebody to like it, no amount of persuasion is going to alter their preference to the contrary. That's a hard lesson for an opinionated and determined, consensus-seeking individual, such as myself, to learn. I'm learning though... slowly... very slowly... but still learning. (Obviously pie preferences is pretty inconsequential, but the principle applies to weightier matters that I haven't dealt well with before.)
Next, I've been reading Keith Hennessey's blog over the past couple of days in order to learn more about health care reform (Joseph I hope you are proud of me). My new interest on the subject was spurred by hearing something in the news over the weekend about a reconciliation bill; I didn't know what that meant and so I decided I should learn. I don't have any new ideas to contribute to the topic other than my gratitude for people who know what's going on and help people like me to learn the fundamentals.
Lastly, I am putting into practice the principle that we ought not always use persuasion or negotiation (even if we are particularly skilled at persuading, as I too often tend to think). As you all well know, I can be pretty determined when I set my mind to something. Stubbornness, along with any other strong character trait, is appropriate for some circumstances and not for others. For example, negotiation is pretty futile when it comes to somebody else's opinion, say, about key lime pie. They either like it or they don't. No matter how much I want somebody to like it, no amount of persuasion is going to alter their preference to the contrary. That's a hard lesson for an opinionated and determined, consensus-seeking individual, such as myself, to learn. I'm learning though... slowly... very slowly... but still learning. (Obviously pie preferences is pretty inconsequential, but the principle applies to weightier matters that I haven't dealt well with before.)
That's awful! No one knows more than me how awful it is to pass out and lose a meal. But, it's especially awful to be in front of a group of strangers. Sorry for your loss!
ReplyDeleteGood luck figuring out the health care reform bill and everything surrounding it. It's almost impossible, but I still make an effort to understand.