Meet Madeleine
This is my new best friend, next to Matt. She and I are very similar and yet very different too; we do pretty much everything together and are inseparable.
Matt says her eyebrows and chin look like mine. I think her nose looks similar to Matt's, and she has dark blue eyes, like Matt. We'll wait and see if they stay blue or not. She loves sucking her fingers, or her whole hand if she can't manage to get her fingers into her mouth. And she gets the hiccups at least 3-4 times a day.
Madeleine loves sounds and sleeps better when there are
sounds to listen to. She loves it when I
use the hair dryer, vacuum, or laundry machine.
She also loves it when I leave the window open so she can hear the
sounds from outside—cars driving by, birds chirping, and the wind. The social side of her is starting to shine
through already too; she likes listening to voices also and is pretty vocal
herself. Although she doesn’t know any
words yet she actually can convey a lot in the little (or loud) sounds she
makes.
To say she has a good lung capacity is an understatement. For being less than two weeks old she is already very good at occasionally letting Matt and I know that her lungs are strong and that she wants
something immediately. Hopefully those
lungs are put to good use later on singing, or playing a wind instrument, or swimming, once she gets older.
One of Madeleine’s favorite activities is having her hair
washed, especially the rinsing part. Any
fidgetiness magically melts away when the warm water trickles through her
rather long dark newborn hair. It’s cute. She likes having a warm
onesie put on her after bath time and then being wrapped in a warmed blanket
fresh from the dryer.
She also loves to be held while she sleeps, or held almost
any time for that matter. She loves
going for walks outside, or even just cuddling out on the back patio. She gets cold easily though and so she’s
usually wrapped up in 2-3 blankets. She
also likes to be lightly bounced and she likes to eat/drink the “mukaka” as
Matt calls it. So far that’s the only
thing she does eat. She’s a great eater
but has a small stomach.
Madeleine does not
like having “bubbles” in her stomach, as Grandma Melory calls them. If I lay her down without getting them all
out she doesn’t sleep well and sometimes regurgitates it. She has a very sad cry when that
happens.
She takes joy in the small things—having a full stomach,
getting a good long nap, long walks outside, and being held. She’s helping me to listen to the birds more
and enjoy a warm shower and clean clothes free of spit up. She’s the best. And I love her more than I knew I could love
anyone.
How beautiful. I remember feeling the same way after we brought both boys home - I never knew I could love someone this much.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lucky baby girl to have such wonderful parents as you and Matt. She is absolutely darling.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to you and Matt. She is adorable!
ReplyDeleteJake and Esther
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings on having your first little angel from heaven. I felt the same as you and Julie said, with each of you children. I never knew the depth of love you could feel for another human being as when I brought each baby into the world. It is indescribable! It is a miracle! You can only know it by experiencing it for yourself, and now you have!!! Congratulations, my sweet, wonderful, daughter!!! May she bring you as much joy as you have brought me!!! I love you to the moon!!! Let the adventures begin!
ReplyDeleteAll my love,
Mom