October came and went, and then so did November
Hmm, where to begin... I've had a handful of blog post ideas over the past two months that haven't really matriculated. Madeleine was a cat for Halloween; Matt was a tourist who looked like Bill Nye; and my last-minute costume was a scuba diver, minus the tank... and the mask... and the fins... not our best year of costumes for Matt and I but Madeleine was pretty cute.

Then November came. I bought 40 lbs of chicken from a company my mom buys from. When I picked it up I had a hard time remembering why on earth I would buy that much chicken at one time. Forty pounds is a lot of chicken to figure out what to do something with, even if it is cheap. So I canned about 30 lbs (I never thought I would can meat, but it's actually really good). And I marinated and froze the other 10 lbs. We've had the marinated chicken 4-5 times already this month. It's so easy just to defrost and bake along with rice and vegetables.
Then right before our beloved fruit stand closed for the year I bought a case of tomatoes... and two cases of apples... so I went back to canning again. Even though I followed the USDA guide I panicked after I got it all done. I started worrying I was going to kill us all of botulism. Fortunately, we've sampled the tomatoes and apple sauce and survived. I also made two batches of fresh tomato soup. Ina Garten's recipe was fantastic. I blended it even though she didn't say to; and I added a couple roasted carrots and red bell pepper too.

Here's Madeleine on a Sunday afternoon walk in November before the snow came. (We got almost a foot of snow in two days. I don't think Madeleine understands what snow it yet.)

The past two months have also been hallmarked by teething. We've tried teething rings, cold rings, wet cloths, orajel, and tylenol. Poor thing has had plenty of hard days. Can you tell she doesn't feel very good here?

Oh yes, I almost forgot. While Matt was home not feeling well one day he suggested "we" plant tulip bulbs for a family home evening activity that night. What he meant was, "Christy, isn't about to freeze and we need to get the bulbs in the ground. Do you want to go do it in the mud?"

Then there's been sewing projects. I got on a sewing kick after I went to a quilt exhibit in the Springville Art Museum towards the end of summer and I've been up to my ears in projects since then. Sorry, no pictures of these yet.
Well, we now just got back from visiting Grandma Carbine for Thanksgiving. We had a great time and Madeleine did great, despite coming down with a cold Thanksgiving day. Love that little girl.
Then November came. I bought 40 lbs of chicken from a company my mom buys from. When I picked it up I had a hard time remembering why on earth I would buy that much chicken at one time. Forty pounds is a lot of chicken to figure out what to do something with, even if it is cheap. So I canned about 30 lbs (I never thought I would can meat, but it's actually really good). And I marinated and froze the other 10 lbs. We've had the marinated chicken 4-5 times already this month. It's so easy just to defrost and bake along with rice and vegetables.
Then right before our beloved fruit stand closed for the year I bought a case of tomatoes... and two cases of apples... so I went back to canning again. Even though I followed the USDA guide I panicked after I got it all done. I started worrying I was going to kill us all of botulism. Fortunately, we've sampled the tomatoes and apple sauce and survived. I also made two batches of fresh tomato soup. Ina Garten's recipe was fantastic. I blended it even though she didn't say to; and I added a couple roasted carrots and red bell pepper too.
Here's Madeleine on a Sunday afternoon walk in November before the snow came. (We got almost a foot of snow in two days. I don't think Madeleine understands what snow it yet.)
The past two months have also been hallmarked by teething. We've tried teething rings, cold rings, wet cloths, orajel, and tylenol. Poor thing has had plenty of hard days. Can you tell she doesn't feel very good here?
Oh yes, I almost forgot. While Matt was home not feeling well one day he suggested "we" plant tulip bulbs for a family home evening activity that night. What he meant was, "Christy, isn't about to freeze and we need to get the bulbs in the ground. Do you want to go do it in the mud?"
Then there's been sewing projects. I got on a sewing kick after I went to a quilt exhibit in the Springville Art Museum towards the end of summer and I've been up to my ears in projects since then. Sorry, no pictures of these yet.
Comments
Post a Comment