Sign me up for the next Hunt for Red October movie, I'm learning Russian!



This semester I'm living with two girls from Russia, Olya and Zhenya. I've actually been their visiting teacher at different times over the past few years and so we've gotten to know each other pretty well already.

Zhenya is studying organ performance and she promised to take me to play the bells in the bell tower on campus. I'm looking forward to it! Olya is teaching English at the ESL center. She's usually busy making lesson plans and grading.

They make great food. I should get some of their recipes and post them on yumbb. Julie and Sarah, maybe we can make Russian/Ukrainian food together next time I'm home. :)

Zhenya is teaching me Russian. Today I learned most of the alphabet so that I can read and write. She wrote down some words that she already taught me to speak; I like it! She also wrote down English words using the Russian alphabet which was a fun practice as well. At the end she left me an encrypted message (Russian alphabet but English words). She is very encouraging and happy that I want to learn Russian.

Michael, Sarah, and Julie--one of you should be able to figure this out. Leave it in the comments when you do :)
Кристи из осам! Ши из вери kyл энд смаπрт!
As for the rest of you, you can't use google translator because they aren't actually Russian words, if that makes sense. You'll have to wait for someone who knows Cyrillic to decrypt it.

Comments

  1. Christy is awesome! She is very cool and smart ... is that right? The smart word when read is more like smalrt. Anyway .. I am SO JEALOUS that you have two Russian roommates and WOW I can't believe you are taking Russian. You are very brave. I would have never been brave enough to learn Russian had I not served a mission there. You are awesome and I can't wait to speak with you in Russian. :)

    I would LOVE to make some Russian food with you when you get home. We should make Pelmeni :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Sarah, you win the prize for cracking the Cyrillic code! There's no need to wish for two Russian roommates, you can talk to mine anytime you want. I'm a pretty good sharer. :) As for learning Russian, I still haven't learned the whole alphabet yet and so you might be able to deduce we're going at a pretty easy pace. And yes, I think Pelmini would be fun to make together. I also really like bleen, can we make that sometime also?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

February in review

What's up Doc?

Capitol Reef