If you build it, they will come

Do you think she's waiting until her room is ready?  If so, I know what I'm going to be working on for the next several days.  The baby room is still a work-in-progress for several reasons:  1.  Matt and I had random boxes and things stored in the spare room, which takes time to go through and find a new home for.  2.  There are so many decisions to make when you're anticipating the arrival of a new permanent family member, including things to buy; and  3.  I've never researched baby stuff before and had no idea what I wanted... bassinet, crib, crib mattress, stroller, car seat, baby bath, baby seat, etc. etc. etc. 4.  I'm a slow buyer.  5.  I like to make my own things, particularly decorations.  So I have the material to make curtains and "little baby buggy bumpers" for the crib, as Matt calls them. End result = an unfinished baby room.

Here's what it looked like several weeks ago:





Lest you think we are unprepared, the essentials are actually all covered: we have a car seat hooked up in my car (purchased in conjunction with a sweet running stroller); her bassinet was bought a couple of months ago and is set up; and we have a ton of infant clothes, swaddling blankets, diapers, and baby wipes (mostly thanks to the many gifts we've received lately).  And my bag is packed for the big trip to the hospital.

Monday's triumph was the purchase of the crib, mattress, and mattress cover.  sigh.  Yes, I finally decided and bought one.  I'm not sure why I was indecisive for so long but it didn't help that Matt, try as he might to be helpful, really didn't have much opinion on the matter.  He occasionally had something to contribute beyond "that looks nice" but it never got me off the undecided fence.  

At any rate, the crib is being shipped from Amazon and ought to arrive sometime next week.  Good thing she'll be sleeping in the bassinet in our room initially... :)  Here are some pictures of what it looks like:

It's lower to the ground than pretty much all of the other cribs I looked at (42 inches high)--an important feature for a petite mom.


Other ideas for the baby room are as follows: 

Yellow "little baby buggy bumpers"--solid yellow on one side and yellow/white stripes on the other side; I've got green fabric to make the trim and ties.  I want to applique little sea shell shapes towards the corners. 

White muslin valences, pleated, with a 1'' yellow ribbon and 1/2'' pink wavey ribbon along the top. 

Over the dresser I'd like to hang a white canvas with a collage of coquina shells on it.  I have a bag full of yellow and pink ones I got at the beach at home.  Here's what they look like for those who may not be familiar with FL shells.  

Picture from www.iloveshelling.com; I like the name of the website.  :) 
Last but not least, a small white lamp to go on the dresser.  I think I may glue a few little shells along the edge of the lamp shade too.  

I'm hoping the dark wood dresser and crib matched with the light colors (white, yellow and pink) will be a good balance between staying true to the cabin feel of the whole house while also making it into a room for kids. Well, for a little girl.  :) 


Comments

  1. Oooh, I LOVE the idea of gluing shells to the lamp shade. That would be so darling. And what a beautiful crib! I'm so glad you finally found the one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the crib come with that wood floor? Looks great. It'll look great in Ammon's room too, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Christy! It's no nice to read your updates. Can't wait to see it all put together. Love you. Call me when It happens :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

February in review

What's up Doc?

Capitol Reef