Hope verses discouragement

"I'm going to eat healthier or start exercising." "I'm going to start going to bed earlier and getting up early." "I want to get organized and stay that way."  "I'm going to start managing my money better."  "That time I wrongly judged so-and-so was really embarrassing; I want to be less judgmental in the future."  "I'm going to stop procrastinating and do this thing that I ought to."  "Tomorrow I'm going to stop wasting so much time doing _________."  "I want to be more optimistic, or smart, or more talented in this area."

We set all sorts of really great goals for ourselves, don't we?  We might even have a great plan for executing our initiatives to change and improve our circumstances.  Then why aren't we living healthier, or feeling perfectly organized, or keeping the dishes from piling up, etc.?  Have we lost our hope?

One of Satan's greatest tools is discouragement.  He says, "Oh, I guess you just aren't the type.  You've tried, haven't you?  What's the use?  It's easier to just accept that you're the way you are and you can't change that.  It's not so bad anyways.  You've gotten by for this long..."  But it's Satan we're talking about.  Why do we ever listen to his seeds of discouragement?  He is the father of misery and lies.

I love the principle of repentance and more broadly, the ability to change.  The bible dictionary defines repentance as a change of mind or turning our focus towards God and His will for us.  We can turn away from any kind of bad habit.  But repentance is not just for the really bad habits.  It's for making people who are already pretty good even better.

As President Monson taught, our attitude, belief in ourselves, and courage to persevere is what will lead  us to live the abundant life.  We need to hope (believe) that we can and will overcome our weaknesses in order to reach our full potential.

Also, what about the discouragement we might feel towards those around us?  "Oh, he's been that way for years.  He doesn't want to change."  "She doesn't even see it--how could she change something she's oblivious to?"  I hate these feelings!  Last October President Monson taught that we need to see others as they may become.  "We need to bear in mind that people can change," he said.  "They can put behind them bad habits.  They can repent...And they can serve the Lord diligently."

What a hopeful thought.  I can change, and so can you.  I love what the poet Larry Miller teaches us about hope in his poem, "Walking with Two Sisters:"

Faith walks before me,
Holding up her lamp
As I try not to stumble in the ink-dark hours before the dawn.
Her light illuminates
One step and then another.
Beside me, Hope, arm linked with mine, encourages and steadies.
Sometimes in the tedium,
Distracted by the pain,
My mind begins to wander, then my feet. I hesitate.
Unsure, I look to Hope.
Her hand takes mine.
The touch reminds me of another hand held out to me,
One pierced and scarred
Yet oh so tender
Lifting me and blessing me when I had fallen and despaired.
Remembering,
I move ahead
Buoyed up by Hope, who sees the end with perfect clarity.

In his Engisn article, "Hope: The Misunderstood Sister," Larry Hiller describes faith as "the most well-known and popular... She is active and energetic, definitely the can-do type."  And there's Charity too.  She is "unfailingly kind and generous, patient, empathetic, aware of every need, and responsive without being asked."  What of Hope, he asks.  Hope may mistakenly be thought of as "fickle" and "unsure."  Afterall, we "hope" for an athletic event's victory or for good weather on a special occasion.  And what comes of our "hope" in those situations?  She often does not produce the desired outcome.  Surely that isn't the kind of hope we are commanded to cultivate in our hearts.

Brother Hiller concludes with a clearer view of what Hope really is:  "She is anything but wishful...  She is serene.  Her eyes have the deep, knowing look of someone acquainted with sorrow, the luminosity of recently being wet with tears.  Hope has the confidence of one who clearly sees a bright future even when the next hours seem fog shrouded.  Hope is steady and strong, a friend I am glad to have beside me during my own trials."

Regardless of how many times we have tried to overcome our bad habits I have confidence that we all can ultimately triumph.  We will need to cling to Hope's reassuring arm as Satan attempts to dissuade us from diligently trying and then trying some more.

As you consider your own admirable goals I hope (trust) that you will consistently keep trying.  Don't give Satan any place in your heart to derail you, regardless of how many attempts it will take.  And I will do the same!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February in review

What's up Doc?

Capitol Reef