Beans and Peas

Recently I was reviewing the USDA choose my plate website and I came across a page entitled "beans and peas are are unique foods."  The sentence made me smile.  They are unique--they're a great source of protein, iron, and zinc (like meat) and also excellent sources of folate, pottasium, and fiber (like other vegetables).  It's kind of hard to go wrong with beans and peas.  So I think you should eat them more often... unless you are already eating them a lot.

Cooking ideas: black beans as a burger, or with taco seasoning and crushed tomatoes served taco-salad-style, or in taco soup (with corn, onions, tomatoes, sauteed peppers, and whatever else you'd like).  Or try white beans in place of chicken for just about anything, or-for a classic-in minestrone soup.  We had white beans in place of chicken a few weeks ago when I made Indian food.  Matt and I both really liked it.  Or choose any kind of bean and add it to a sauteed onion and some crushed tomatoes with a little bit of beef stew seasoning and serve it with rice and you've got a staple Zimbabwe dinner.

Don't get me wrong--I like meat, and I eat it.  But I also really like beans!  And I hope you do too.  :)

Comments